Sunday, February 25, 2007

From Transfiguration To Disfiguration

I've been remiss in tending to my blog. Not that it makes a whole lot of difference to that many people, but have been doing some extensive pastoral care work in the parish I formerly served....which is still without a full time pastor. The latest endeavor was to lead Ash Wednesday services. Quite a contrast in texts from the previous Sunday. From mountaintop experiences and dazzling white clothes to smears of black ashes on the foreheads of kneeling penitents. (Dripping smears actually since the person preparing the ashes for me to use added a bit too much oil). I compare such actions with what I see on TV - Brittany shaving her head, lips tatooed on wrists and the continuous prattle about what the stars on going to wear on the red carpet prior to Oscar night. I've never been one to think much about my physical appearance, let alone be that extroverted about my religious piety. But maybe I'm missing something. After all, isn't there a saying about actions speaking louder than words? The Lord had some rather harsh words about people who wanted their prayers and charitable giving to be noticed by others. If anyone has been secretive about their religious practices, I think Lutherans set a pretty high standard. I'm going to ponder that during this Lenten season....secretive doesn't mean inaction....but what do I do and where do I go after washing the ashes off my expansive forehead? Keep in touch.

No comments: