Monday, April 9, 2007

Post Easter Postings

OK...so I have been negligent....no, the word is "lazy"...when it comes to adding blog entries. Daughter, Dawn, continues to chide me for not being more assertive and verbose. But I don't have a three year old like Paavo to keep feeding me incredible stories and experiences. Just think....the kid has joined the ranks of the literary-form critics of Scripture in noting the discrepancies among the Gospel accounts of the resurrection. I wonder if those sitting around me in church yesterday were aware of such issues. Retired Bishop, Dale Skogman, was our preacher - challenged our thinking and living if I, like the disciples, regarded the story as an "idle tale." Speaking of preachers, it looks like our prayers have been answered as a pastoral candidate visits Bethany next weekend...call committee highly positive and in the letter this pastor sent to congregation, it sounds like he also is positive about serving in this neck of God's creation. It surely would be a sign of Easter hope and new life if we can be up and running again with a full time pastor on board. One thing for sure - the weather is not cooperating in affirming the change from winter to spring. In fact, we a snow fall the other day and the temps have not been about the 40's with strong winds. For those living in the northern U.P., they had a record snow storm for this time of the year....Marquette had over 2' of snow in less than a day. Ah, yes....Escanaba is in the banana belt. I speak to Bethany's Sr. Club tomorrow....about things that have or have not changed over the 40 years of ministry I've experienced. What would you put on that list? In many ways, things remain the same because we, as human beings, have not changed regarding our search for fulfillment and meaning. The temptations might vary - the toys (idols) we chase after might be more sophisticated - but in the end, we still must answer the question - was the testimony of those on the first Easter morn (however many they might have been) simply an idle tale? I'm taking my chances - I've bet my life - that it was not. Christ is risen....he is risen indeed.

No comments: