Tuesday, September 4, 2007

New Meaning To Labor Day

Labor Day, '07, has new meaning for me. I went back to work...part-time, that is. I was accepted as the new Director of BACM (Bay Area Campus Ministry) at our local community college in Escanaba. When we left this town in the 80's, Bay College had about 300 students. Now it has 2,100. It is mostly a ministry of "presence", but do intend to go with the flow in adopting, adapting or actually creating opportunities for students to grow in their faith walk and to serve others in the name of the Lord.

Granted, if you considered my work ethic in keeping this blog up to date, you might judge this ministry to be "at risk" right from the beginning. But there is nothing like "hanging" with college students to get this old guy's juices flowing and to find fresh ways of communicating the Gospel. The mainstay of the ministry has, for years, been the free Monday supper meal the area churches provide - primarily to those students living in the college-owned apartments on campus. From that mealtime gathering, I'm hoping interests will be shared that give direction to possible Bible studies, community service projects, or what I'm tempted to call right now, "Bay Bull Sessions" where discussion can focus upon the "hot topics" of today.

If you are interested in more details, you can access this web site - www.dailypress.net and then search the archives for the Aug. 27 edition. That article made a huge difference in the kind of conversations I have with people now. They want to know everything from how many hours I will spend on campus to how much I'm getting paid. It was liberating to interview for the position with no concern about pay since the ELCA pension fund has surely provided for all our needs. So now it is onward to the days ahead - I have a place to go to when winter sets in around here - and maybe I'll have some juicy and meaningful stories to share on this blog.... and on a regular basis.....until next time.

1 comment:

jodihabig said...

Hey Pastor Pete--Congrats on the new job! It sounds right up your alley. Maybe these students can teach you how to eat a whole lobster! :) I need to talk/write to you soon... I'm in Cadillac, MI now! And, unfortunately, I left your direct email address in my old work account in Montana. Please email me sometime at jodihabig@yahoo.com.